This program is for students entering AT LEAST KINDERGARTEN and up and is co-ed. The program runs from late June through mid August (7 Week Program) and sign-ups are in early June.
We offer both morning and evening classes. Morning classes can be taken on either Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday mornings. Evening classes can be taken on Monday/Wednesday evenings. Each class meets twice a week and is 40 minutes long.
Westfield Residents: $30 for the first child, $25 for the second and $20 for the third. A maximum of $75 per family. Partial scholarship assistance available if needed.
Non-Westfield Residents: $40 for the first child, $35 for the second and $30 for the third. A maximum of $105 per family.
*Please note that the cost of this program also includes our field program as well as our drama program.
Our swim lessons are accredited by the American Red Cross as part of their "Learn to Swim" Program. As part of the program, we have 6 different levels of swim lessons:
- Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills: Students will learn how to feel comfortable in the water and safely enjoy it.
- Level 2: Fundamentals of Aquatic Skills: Children will learn basic swimming skills.
- Level 3: Stroke Development: Additional guided practice will help students improve their skills.
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement: Kids will gain confidence during swim lessons, improve their stroke and gain additional aquatic skills.
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement: Guidance allows kids to refine their strokes and become more efficient swimmers.
- Level 6: Swimming and Skill Proficiency: Students will learn to swim with ease and efficiency, and gain the ability to swim smoothly over greater distances. Swimmers will also have the option to participate in more advanced courses.
*For more information on American Red Cross swimming programs, visit their website https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/swimming
At the end of the program, each participant will receive an evaluation form on the progress they've made throughout the summer. The evaluation form will either recommend for the participant to move up to the next level of lessons for next summer, or to repeat the same level in order to improve their skills.
We typically have anywhere from 6 to 9 lifeguards working during swim lessons (depending on how many levels are being taught). We typically have a leader and a helper for each class (2 helpers for level 1), as well as a deck guard.
2018 Summer Programs' Sign-Ups
Tuesday, June 5th and Thursday, June 7th
6:00-8:00 p.m. inside the field house at Welch Field
2018 Swim Lessons' Dates
*Swim lessons take place during Session 2 of our Swim Program
Start Date: Monday, June 25th
End Date: Thursday, August 9th